Monday, September 04, 2006

PC Virus Halts Astartes!

Sorry for the slow weekend – turns out that virus actually kept me busy for most of it :P

Anyway, I spent a little time today trying to come up with a relatively easy way to make my marines a bit bigger. I decided to go for elongating the torso, and adding some bulk to the waist area – two spots I think the marines look a little mis-proportioned.

For the first step, I cut out the lower part of the armor (the part with the hoses) and pinned it in place about 3-4mm higher then it would normally sit. I then Green Stuffed a core piece that I will later add another layer of GS, which I will detail to look like a standard marine lower chest plate and belt. Not sure how this will look when it is done, so, we’ll just give it a shot and see how it looks.

As for size, so far this doesn’t add much height to the model – for that I’d need to add some length to the legs, but that may be more trouble then it’s worth. At the very least, this will make the marines stand about half a head taller then the average marine or guardsman. If he actually stood straight up, instead of crouching, that would give the marine another head in height. Just wish it was easier to add to the legs.

Below is a photo of my first stage, side by side with another marine with the same set of legs.


2 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Da_Todfatha said...

You may want to add a bit of plasticard to the soles of his boots. once the model is based you won't notice the extra plasticard but it may add some illusional height to the overall feel of the model. I saw it done once to good effect to bulk up an ork warboss...just a thought.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Justin Kase said...

I had thought about that, but thought it would make the boots look too bulky. I'll try it though:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home